Feb 4, 2008

It's about damn time I wrote something...

Let me start out by saying that not all of my posts will be like this... but there are a few things I need to get off my chest. As a diehard Twins fan I think I've earned that much.

I start this blog with a heavy heart. It seems as though we are on the eve of one of the worst seasons of Twins baseball in Minnesota history. I men, honestly, the fact that now Scott "Scotty doesn't know" Baker being the new Twins ace is not all that reassuring AND the whole no center fielder thing kinda worries me (I know we have Carlos Gomez now... but lets face it, he probably still needs time in triple A). And to top it all off the Twins feel the need to put out an "official press release" to let the fans know that Boof has lost 20 pounds... OH MY GOD WHY IS THAT MAN STILL ON OUR TEAM?!?!? I could care less if over the winter he magically transformed his body to look like Brad Pitt in Troy, it's just not happening. I could throw a better fastball. Hell, my 4 year old cousin could throw a better fast ball. If you suck in the 1st inning, you're going to suck in the 7th--regardless if you now have the ability to get there. 

Another Twins move that pissed me off... the signing of Adam Everett. Why? I mean he seems like a nice guy (although he does look like he's 12, but that gives young Scotty a new friend to color and play hide-and-seek with) but... MOVE PUNTO TO SHORTSTOP! It is a defensive position! That is Punto in a nutshell, the man deserves an award named after him. I've seen him drive into the third row to make a catch. I've seen him make bare handed catches and then throw across the diamond. Isn't that what you want your shortstop to do? Why put a perfectly good player on the bench and sign a free agent? I know his batting average was low... but the goal of shortstop is to take away hits from the other team... not necessarily make them at your at-bats.

Don't even get me started with the Torii Hunter thing. I'm still pissed about that. The news of him signing with the Angels totally ruined my Thanksgiving... I holiday that is now no longer my favorite because of the memory of that day. I was at his final home game as a Twins, there are no words to describe what it was like. Every time that man stepped onto the field there was a standing ovation. I still get chills thinking about it. He was a once in a life time player, a true gentleman. He was my generation's Kriby. Now he's gone and on opening day I get to watch him come out smiling on the field with the same 48 on his back, but this time watch him take home runs and doubles away from my beloved Twins. It's blasphemy and I'll be crying on the inside when I see it. 

Then there's Johan, the man, the legend, one badass dude. Gone. Just like Torii. I think the trade was ok. For this season it sucked. I will be interested in seeing how Gomez does and if he starts as our new center fielder but the other 3 will still need plenty of time in the minors. I think in a few years the trade might pan out, but for now it's just a waiting game. Right now we need experience in our rotation... I hope to God the Twins are trying to sign some free agent. 

I guess for now we'll just have to wait and see. The 2008 season right now can be summed up like this... HOLY FRICK WE ARE GOING TO HAVE PROBLEMS! But somehow I still keep the faith. How? I have no idea... but it's there. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nick Punto is by far and away my favorite Twin. I think he would kick ass at shortstop! I feel like his hitting will work back to what it was in 2006. But that defense: Wow! You either got it or you don't.

**Becca**
aka Twins Sisters

Elle said...

LNP WINS.

...sometimes...