Feb 29, 2008

Well that was...

...somewhat of a let down.

I don't know what I was expecting, but it was a little bit more than 8-3, Sox. Granted, the Sox are the WS Champs, and they do have an exceptional team who were all together all of last year... but still.

I was very (happily) surprised at Skinny Boof. Really surprised. I actually think he's cute now! And, even though he only pitched 2 innings, looked pretty good. Kevin Slowey was shaky, but I still love him. What was up with Joe Nathan though??? The two Sox announcers referred to him as "Joe Nathan, The Very Good Closer", which I am definitely going to start using. They also complimented Nick Punto when he made nice plays, which I appreciated. They were really annoying last year, I guess they've toned it down.

They really enjoyed using the phrase "A different looking Twins team", and mentioned Johan at least 5 times. I guess that really can't be helped though, especially since one of them was very much for Johan going to Boston.

Things I Enjoyed:
- Delmon Young. Good start. I like him a lot, and I'm glad he is Good At Baseball.
- Carlos Gomez and his amazing throw from CF to Mike Redmond to get Dustin Pedroia out at home. It was beautiful. He was very quick, too. I say give him the job.
- The fact that, based on the pre-game show about the Sox down in Ft. Meyers, it looks like the Twins are better golfers. Dustin Pedroia was pretty funny, and had trouble choosing clubs: "I don't even know what to use here...pitching wedge? I'll use the 'P'."
- Hideki Okajima, even though he is a Red Sock. Apparently his splitter is called the 'Oki Doki', and now he has a new, very secretive pitch called the 'Doki Doki'. You can bet I will be following that one. I liked him a lot last year and definitely felt that no one expected anything of him when he came over-- he seemed sort of like an add-on to Daisuke Matsuzaka. But he made the All-Star Team, and has proven reliable. He's pretty adorable, too.
- Brian Buscher. Nice HR, it was a pick up we needed. He made some good plays at 3rd too, which are always appreciated.

Lastly, in the 9th, when I admit I wasn't really paying attention anymore, someone who I do not know knocked in two runs. I apologize to him, and also tell him: "Good job."

All in all... the game was pretty disappointing. Here's hoping we can just own them on Saturday.

Game MVP: Brian Buscher. Because really... we don't have anyone else...and I don't know who the other guy was...

No comments: