Apr 2, 2008

Home Opener 2008... About Time Baseball Started Again!

Ok, so sorry this is a bit late but I was in no state to write this thing after the game on Monday and homework overtook me on Tuesday, but I promise it will be worth the wait.

After about a 20 minute walk in the snow in the wind tunnel known as Minneapolis we finally arrived at the Dome, looking like we all had just taken a shower with our clothes on... but it was worth it. BASEBALL IS BACK.

I came to the realization that night walking to our seats, that I actually missed the dome--I missed the whole atmosphere: the over priced food and drinks, the drunken fans, the nasty off white color of the dome's roof and, I hate to say this, but I actually missed the smell of dome dogs... I never said it was a good realization. But, if any lesson was learned from opening day its this... THE NEW BALLPARK NEEDS A RETRACTABLE ROOF! Let's face it, I'm big enough fan to sit through a snow storm, rain storm or the freezing cold to see the boys play but opening night was ridiculous. Now that I've gotten that out of my system, I can move on...


After the ceremonially first pitch, the reading of the rosters and national anthem they were finally done and... BASEBALL STARTED! I was fully impressed by Livan Hernandez and especially when I learned that he never topped 85 mph (on a total side note, this also settles an argument I've been having with certain people. They say that you have to be topping out at 92ish mph not to get killed in this league, I say its all about location and changing speeds... who's right now suckers!). I'll admit that I was a little reluctant about the whole Hernandez thing because the little (and by little I mean 330+ pounds, Boof was a twig last season compared to him) Ponson experiment. I'm looking forward to seeing what Hernandez will bring to the team this year.


I was really happy and yet really sad to see Torii Hunter... I was very confused by these feelings. I did love the warm welcome he received from the fans (myself and my friends included, it really isn't his falt he's not playing for us, if I was him and was low-balled by the Twins I probably would have left too) and a class act deserves just that. Every time we cheered for him, he raised his hat and touched his chest--it pretty much almost made me cry. I still can't picture him in any other uniform... I still can't believe he's gone, even after seeing him play for another team.
And on another side note, I'd like to address what some other blogger said about them being glad that Juan Rincon hit Torii with a pitch (I believe they said, "Juan Rincon: International Bad Ass"). WHO SAYS THAT?!?!? I truly believe that he didn't deserve to get hit, this is not A.J. Pierzynski or Carl Crawford or A-Rod-- IT'S TORII HUNTER! He warrants a bit more respect than that. No offense or anything, but the statement didn't settle well with me. Hunter spent the last 11 years playing his heart out for the Twins. Even if you're mad that he left and signed with another team, respect what he did for the Twins while he was here.


In other news, HOW IMPRESSIVE WAS GOMEZ! Two hits, two stolen bases and a walk with a run scored! Whole lotta! I know that these days will be mostly be few and far between but they're going to be amazing when they happen. This kid is going to be a superstar if he continues this way, it's going to be great. The picture was from when Gomez scored on Joe Mauer's single, what a way to start out the season.


The awesomeness that is Pat Neshek. Three strike outs! I think so.


Joe Nathan! What a guy, what a guy. First save of the season, hopefully many more to follow.


Cuddy and Gomez playing catch!


Delmon Young! I'm really glad that we finally found someone to hold down the fort in left. He's going to be a fun player to watch.

Joe Nathan schooling the Angels!

VICTORY!

Well that's it for now, but I'm sure there will be a post soon about Nick Blackburn's start tonight... who L has already claimed to be the "new Twin's stud", lets hope she's right.


1 comment:

Elle said...

He IS the new Twins Stud.